Monday, 22 June 2015

REVIEW: The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent

The Stars Never RiseI received an ARC of this book from Mira Ink for free, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect the content of my review in any form.

Author: Rachel Vincent
Published by: Mira Ink on 18th June 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Dystopian
Pages: 368
Format: Paperback
Series: Untitled Series #1
Source: Publisher
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Hive | Kindle

Summary:

There’s no turning back…

In the town of New Temperance, souls are in short supply and Nina should be worrying about protecting hers. Yet she’s too busy trying to keep her sister Mellie safe.
When Nina discovers that Mellie is keeping a secret that threatens their existence, she’ll do anything to protect her. Because in New Temperance, sins are prosecuted as crimes by the brutal church.
To keep them both alive, Nina will need to trust Finn, a mysterious fugitive who has already saved her life once. Wanted by the church and hunted by dark forces, Nina knows she needs Finn and his group of rogue friends.


But what do they need from her in return?




This book turned out to be completely different to what I had expected it to be. And not in a bad way either. Being one of my most highly anticipated books of 2015, I was extremely excited to read this and now I feel quite satisfied!

If you know me, then you know I'm a huge Supernatural fan. I love demons, possession, zombies and monsters and all that good stuff about sins. It intrigues me. The Stars Never Rise was a combination of a number of my favourite things which I thought was pretty brilliant. Like this book was almost made for me! 


Nina Kane, our lead protagonist, lives in a town run by the Church who require humans to swear loyalty to them in return for the protection they provide against the demons and degenerates in the world. When Nina's sister becomes pregnant, committing one of the largest sins, she is captured by the Church leaving Nina to find a way to rescue her before she is killed. But Nina is more than human, she's an exorcist with the ability to send demons possessing human bodies back to hell, and they are everywhere. Along with a band of fugitive exorcists, they discover darker truths about the world they live in and the people they have blindly trusted all their lives.


Doesn't that just sound amazing? Although I really enjoyed and liked Nina's character, I didn't really connect with the other characters so I'm hoping this will change in the sequel! The world is incredibly interesting, kind of like a post-apocalyptic/dystopian world where breeding has become very limited as now a soul is required to be sacrificed to a newborn in order for them to live. And souls are hard to come by when you're trying to preserve the human race. The plot is action-packed with zombie-like creatures known as degenerates that reminded me of one of my favourite movies - World War Z. (Ah.. Brad Pitt..)

And then we have the whole exorcising possessed humans thing. I thought that was pretty darn cool. Nina was like a flare in the night sky and I really enjoyed watching her become more courageous and strong and I think it's one of the main reasons as to why I loved this book so much. She cares deeply for her sister and that shines through her actions and thoughts, she eve goes to great lengths and takes risks to protect her which is truly amiable.


There is a fair share of romance, and despite being a little insta-lovey, I really enjoyed it. Which is rare for me. Reason being - Finn. Finn truly intrigues me for reasons I won't spoil for you. You just have to read it and find out yourself! Why ruin the surprise? He can be really adorable and I want to know more about him and what will become of him and his relationship with Nina. It's really different! (You'll understand the complications once you read it.)

Really cool post-apocalyptic/dystopian world with a great plot. Action-packed with fight scenes galore and quite fast-paced too! There are scenes that surprised me and had me gaping with an open mouth because they were a little brutal but it just added to the greatness of the story! I just need more character development for Reese, Grayson, Maddock and Devi. But I simply cannot wait for the sequel! That ending! It left me hanging with so many questions that need to be answered!


I think a lot of people would enjoy this book. I'd highly recommend it.

Rating:
Silver Wreath

Extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment