Tuesday, 5 May 2015

REVIEW: The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

24886378I received an ARC of this book from Orchard via NetGalley for free, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect the content of my review in any form.

Published by: Orchard Books on 4th June 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Witches, Magic
Pages: 368
Format: eARC
Series: The Witch Hunter #1
Source: Publisher
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Hive | Kindle

Summary:

Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Sixteen-year-old Elizabeth Grey doesn't look dangerous. A tiny blonde wisp of a girl shouldn't know how to poison a wizard and make it look like an accident. Or take out ten necromancers with a single sword and bag of salt. Or kill a man using only her thumb. But things are not always as they appear. Elizabeth is one of the best Witch Hunter's in Anglia and a member of the king's elite guard, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and bringing those who practice it to justice. And in Anglia, the price of justice is high: death by burning.

When Elizabeth is accused of being a witch herself, she's arrested and thrown into prison. The king declares her a traitor and her life is all but forfeit. With just hours before she's to die at the stake, Elizabeth gets a visitor - Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful wizard in Anglia. He offers her a deal: he will free her from prison and save her from execution if she will track down the wizard who laid a deadly curse on him.

As Elizabeth uncovers the horrifying facts about Nicholas's curse and the unwitting role she played in its creation, she is forced to redefine the differences of right and wrong, friends and enemies, love and hate... and life and death.




If you need a good witchy-themed book with a vivid historical and medieval setting, look no further! The Witch Hunter is what you seek.

The Witch Hunter gave off that feel like I was watching another episode of Merlin (and we all know how awesome that show was. Sigh, I miss it) with a hint of Supernatural (AKA the best show ever). Two of my all-time favourite TV shows meshed together into one book! What could be better? 


 We follow the life of Elizabeth Grey, living in the historical period of 16th century England, alternate to the England we know now. But there are many names of areas that I am very familiar with because they're areas in London, and as a Londoner, it was a huge plus for me because I loved reading about alternate versions of the places I see myself almost every day! It was like envisioning what I know in a different time period, my imagination ran wild!


Elizabeth is a Witch Hunter, with a rare ability to heal that are only gifted to the elite guard working under the King. She works under the royals to track down any supernatural/paranormal beings and those who practice magic. Magic is banned and those who practice or wield it are condemned to the ferocious flames at the stake. But when Elizabeth is accused of using magic herself and labelled a witch, earning a death sentence, she discovers a whole lot more about those she works for and it sets off an array of twists and turns!

This was such a fantastic, different and hugely exciting book. I was instantly sucked into the world Virginia had crafted. I am a sucker for medieval settings, it just interests me so much! It was old-school magic with historical themes. So herbs, potions, hexes and all sorts! You have the lot! It was definitely a fun experience. I thought the characters were pretty cool. Did I mention there were pirates? THERE ARE FREAKING PIRATES. Just tell me your book has pirates and a medieval setting and I'm sold.


Nicholas Perevil was an interesting character, in some ways reminding me of Albus Dumbledore but still his own person. I would really love to read the story of how he was cursed especially after reading that fantastic ending! Let's talk about Elizabeth. I found her to be quite the fun and entertaining character with a fear of being trapped in closed-in places like claustrophobia. As a Witch Hunter, she made a pretty good one making the odd mistake here and there. I loved what she did.
Though I do feel a lot of the characters have room for development including Elizabeth, I have to say I really enjoyed Elizabeth's friendship with George. Their banter and lively relationship was refreshing and realistic! Moving on to romance, it does take up a generous share of the book, but sadly it just didn't work for me.

The main love-interest, John, namely. It was kind of insta-lovey and I really didn't feel a connection between them. There was more chemistry between George and Elizabeth in my opinion. Which was the only let down for me. But aside from that, the intense mixed-paced plot really got my heart racing! So much mystery! So much drama! So much EXCITEMENT. An extraordinary finale which left me wanting more and I cannot wait to dive back into this world once again with the sequel! It's a huge world that I really want to explore more of and I'm also intrigued about the royals, there just wasn't much on them!

A great start to a promising new series, I'd definitely say to give it a go!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment