Wednesday, 6 May 2015

REVIEW: Talon by Julie Kagawa

TalonAuthor: Julie Kagawa
Published by: Mira Ink on 15th January 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dragons, Romance
Pages: 445
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed
Series: Talon #1
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Hive | Kindle

Summary:

To the outside world Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St. George, a powerful society of dragonslayers. St. George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he's been taught about dragons. Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides - fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destroy one another.




So a couple months back, when I searched up reviews that were flooding in for Talon, I noticed thee were a lot of mixed feelings about it. People compared it to her earlier published series like The Iron Fey and Blood of Eden, and I came across a few things that put me off. Talon would have been the first Julie Kagawa book that I would have read, would it be a good idea to start off with it? So as you can guess, I was quite hesitant to pick it up. BUT, I wanted to be able to judge it for myself and might I say, I'm glad I did.


Talon wasn't anything like I thought it would be. Set in a more modern era on Earth, we follow Ember - a Dragon with the ability to Shift into human form to hide from the brutal dragonslayers of St. George that hunt her kind. Alongside her twin brother, Dante, they both undergo secret intensive training to prepare them for survival by their superiors, who are part of a dragon organization known as Talon. But even then, Talon is keeping secrets from Ember, and she's determined to find out what.

Despite it being a little tough to get into at first, as there were multiple narratives all written in 1st Person, I quickly found myself drawn into the story and really connecting with the characters. Ember was a rebellious and defiant teenager and her relationships with the other characters were really enjoyable to witness. The multiple POV chapters helped to expand my view of the plot and made it entertaining to read from others perspectives! For example, with Garret - our St. George soldier - who has to work undercover and hunt Ember. His scenes were a mix of battles that reminded me of Call of Duty, and his conflicting thoughts about choosing between Ember and his purpose. There was also Riley, a rogue dragon with a goal that I will not mention. You're gonna have to read it to find out what!


Riley was perhaps my favourite character, for one thing he made the book that much more fun and exciting to read with his perky, teasing and arrogant attitude. Honestly, this guy really knows how to make an entrance and he's absolutely hilarious! There was some really great character development in this book!

The plot itself was pretty interesting, tense and exhilarating, I really look forward to seeing what becomes of Talon especially after that cliffhanger ending! I should also point out that there is a love triangle in the making and although the romance between Ember and Garret felt a little instalovey at first, I was won over after watching their relationship grow and there were scenes that even got my heart racing!


Quite fast-paced and very thrilling, unpredictable in areas that took me by surprise but a really good start to the series! Now I must read the sequel. If you're hesitant like I was about reading Talon, I'd definitely say give it a try. It just might surprise you!

Rating:
Silver Wreath

4 comments:

  1. I loved Talon! I love dragons on a normal day but the Talon series definitely adds a bit of a twist! I didn't actually like Riley in book 1. I preferred him in Rogue, when he'd stopped putting on the act to get Ember to join him and started becoming a 3D and pretty badass character. I definitely suggest you read Rogue; it's so much better with so much more action and badassery! My review of Rogue's here if you're interested: http://imjustbooking.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/review-rogue-talon-2-by-julie-kagawa.html
    Great review! I get way too excited when I see someone else's reviewed Talon or Rogue lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably the only one who really liked Riley from the start haha but now I've read Rogue, I love him even more! I agree, his character development was very impressive in Rogue!

      Thanks for reading and commenting! x

      Delete
    2. I think I just kind of liked Garret more in Talon but then Riley's character development in Rogue won me over. I'm not sure I even like Garret much any more haha. Couldn't really say why though

      Delete
    3. Riley is just incredible charming haha. I still like Garret! I felt incredibly sorry for him though knowing Ember would be torn between him and Riley and that would be hard on him.

      Delete