Thursday, 7 May 2015

REVIEW: Rogue by Julie Kagawa

I received an ARC of this book from Mira Ink via NetGalley for free, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect the content of my review in any form.

Author: Julie Kagawa
Published by: Mira Ink on 7th May 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dragons, Romance
Pages: 400
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
Series: Talon #2

Summary:

Deserter. Traitor. ROGUE. Ember Hill left the dragon organization Talon to take her chances with rebel dragon Cobalt and his crew of rogues. But Ember can't forget the sacrifice made for her by the human boy who could have killed her - Garret Xavier Sebastian, a soldier of the dragonslaying Order of St. George, the boy who saved her from a Talon assassin, knowing that by doing so, he'd signed his own death warrant.

Determined to save Garret from execution, Ember must convince Cobalt to help her break into the Order's headquarters. With assassins after them and Ember's own brother helping Talon with the hunt, the rogues find an unexpected ally in Garret and a new perspective on the underground battle between Talon and St. George. A reckoning is brewing and the secrets hidden by both sides are shocking and deadly. Soon Ember must decide: Should she retreat to fight another day... or start an all-out war?




So I read Rogue straight after finishing Talon, as you do. As it's the sequel, I'll try and keep this review as non-spoilery as possible but just giving you a warning in advance. There was a lot of potential for this series, I could see it once I finished Talon, it had a great start, sure, and I was interested to see how things played out after the insane aftermath of Talon.

Rogue picks up from where Talon left off. Ember is now a rogue alongside fellow dragon, Riley and his human hacker accomplice, Wes. Hiding from the eyes and muzzles of guns of both the dragon organization Talon, and the dragonslayers of St. George, they assemble to plan their next steps on freeing the hatchling dragons trapped at Talon. Rogue, in my opinion, was even better than predecessor reason being it had way more action and heart-stopping moments! There was betrayal, tension and exciting battle scenes galore, I lapped it up quite happily. There were twists in the plot and great character development too!


We get to see more about Riley AKA Cobalt, our charming rogue dragon. We learn more about how he left Talon and became rogue, his reasons for what he does now and what his goals are. I grew to love him even more and despite the seriousness of certain situations, he still finds time to be hilarious and make me laugh! I really enjoy reading about characters like him. 

My only issue was with Ember, who I liked in the first book but felt as if she irritated me in the second. In Rogue, her rebellious attitude gets a little out of hand making her take reckless decisions when the dangers were clear before her. Some of her thoughts during certain situations just seemed silly. But aside from all that, I did feel sympathy for her after everything that happened/is happening with her brother - Dante.

The romance was quite enjoyable, like I mentioned in my review of Talon, there was a love triangle in the making and it does become official in Rogue. Lot's of conflicting emotions guys! Overall, great relationships.


There's still a lot we don't know and I'm anxious to find out what! Especially after such a dramatic and somewhat heartbreaking ending! (Another cliffhanger!) It pains me that there's going to be quite a wait for Book 3 but I feel as if Julie will surprise us and make the wait worthwhile! Really fast-paced, invigorating and gets your heart-racing in parts with really great characters! This series is definitely getting better and I cannot wait for the next one!

Rating:
4.5
Silver Wreath

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any review that doesn't say Rogue's better than Talon yet! I really hope the third one's even better; that would make for a pretty amazing series!

    ReplyDelete