Monday, 4 May 2015

April Wrap Up & Recommendations 2015


Another reading month has passed and a new one begins. LET'S DO THIS.

So after my apocalypse of a reading month during March, I decided to kick myself and up my reading game for April. I told myself I couldn't buy a particular book I desperately wanted, unless I read at least a generous number of books first. So April was somewhat a successful reading month for me, but I know I could have done better!

After reading a measly six books last month, I read a total of ELEVEN during April, which is pretty good for me. Almost double in number! Thanks to the #readUKYA readathon hosted by Lucy, I got to catch up on reading and read some incredible books, including a reread!! And what a reading month it was! - Every book I had read, I rated 3 stars or higher. Mostly 4's and 5's because a majority of them were pretty fab-u-loussss.

Witch Hunter
AUTHOR: Virginia Boecker
MY RATING: 4 STARS

If you loved the TV show Merlin, or if you love old-school magic, witches, medieval themed books with exciting plots, LOOK NO FURTHER. You need to read this! My review will follow soon so keep an eye out but oh my word, this book was so good guys. Hit's shelves June 2nd 2015!

Lobsters
AUTHOR: Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison
MY RATING: 5 STARS

This book was laugh-out-loud HILARIOUS. I actually shedded tears from snorting with laughter from reading some of the parts in this book. A fantastic take on social awkwardness - which I suffer from blergh - and a cute, light and funny story about love and friendship and growing up! I've been wanting to read this book FOR EVER and I don't regret picking it up. One of the best books I've ever read.

The Beloved
AUTHOR: Alison Rattle
MY RATING: 4 STARS

I requested this from Hot Key after reading the synopsis and immediately was interested to see what this book was about. I wanted to get into more YA historical fiction so thought this was a good place to start. Holy crap. This book had such a high creepy-factor. It was intense, seriously gripping and freaking insane. My review is coming so keep an eye out because I'll go into more detail about what I thought, but all in all, this was one fab book!

Crow Moon
AUTHOR: Anna McKerrow
MY RATING: 3.5 STARS

I loved the idea of this book so much. The fact that the world has been divided and there's chaos and magic and witches! I really liked the protagonist Danny, I loved the diversity too and this Greenworld where the people are trying to preserve the Mother Earth instead of destroying it. It was intense in parts and really enjoyable though I did have my issues. Still a great read, you guys should check it out!

Noble Conflict
AUTHOR: Malorie Blackman
MY RATING: 5 STARS

This, in my opinion, was even better than Noughts & Crosses. I KNOW. I KNOW. Many of you may beg to differ, but for me, this book just won me over. A standalone dystopian with diversity, great characters, heartbreaking moments and a action-packed story, it had everything I would ever want in a book. It packed a punch and god, I loved it so much!

Night School (Night School, #1)
AUTHOR: C.J. Daugherty
MY RATING: 5 STARS
(REREAD)
MY REVIEW: Here

My review says it all. My favourite series ever so of course I was going to reread it.

Seed
AUTHOR: Lisa Heathfield
MY RATING: 5 STARS
MY REVIEW: Here

I cried in delight when this GORGEOUS book came through my letterbox. There was a lot of buzz surrounding it and the synopsis kind of reminded me of Crow Moon, only, the people worshipped Mother Nature and they were in a cult. Really took me by surprise this one did, it was a real heartbreaker and truly addictive read! Loved it.

Only Ever Yours
AUTHOR: Louise O'Neill
MY RATING: 4 STARS

I was torn between wanting to burn this book then scatter the ashes into a volcano, and wanting to hug it and cry. My thoughts about this book are pretty scrambled, I just don't know what to tell you because for me, this was a pretty bizarre book. An incredible book. I see why it won the YA Bookprize. Really powerful message behind it and a truly astounding read. Just read it.

Better Left Buried
AUTHOR: Emma Haughton
MY RATING: 5 STARS
MY REVIEW: Here

My review says it all. ALL MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS. This was just one of the best books I've ever read, definitely one of the best I've read this year. Emma's writing just gets better and better and I want a sequel to this. I NEED. AND I NEED FOR YOU TO READ IT.

Vicious
AUTHOR: V.E. Schwab
MY RATING: 5 STARS

It's THE V.E. Schwab guys. Need I say more? This was my second Schwab novel and it did not disappoint. Marvel fans need to read this book but even then, so does EVERYBODY ELSE. It's right up there with A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC and god, I am SO READY for Vicious 2! (Victoria is working on a sequel. YAAS.)

One
AUTHOR: Sarah Crossan
MY RATING: 5 STARS

This book. Oh, this book. I'm still not over it. When I found out I won a proof of this book, my heart literally stopped. Such beautiful writing, as expected from Sarah but it was a real tearjerker! This book toyed with my feels and it was a wonderful story about conjoined twins, something that certainly needs more coverage in YA. The writing style is different too with it's poem-like layout, which made it quick to read. Such a privilege to have gotten the chance to read this book - early too! Thank you Sarah! This hits shelves 26th August 2015. Get pre-ordering!

The Game of Love and Death
AUTHOR: Martha Brockenbrough
MY RATING: 4.5 STARS

I had a feeling this book would be pretty special. Special it was. Beautifully written? Check. Diverse themes? Check. Great characters? Check. Unique storyline? Check. Basically, it had EVERYTHING, and I will go more into it in my review (coming soon!) but holy moly, I loved this book to the moon and back and I just want more. Such an enthralling and heartbreaking read!

And that's all of them! Click on their titles for their Goodreads pages to get more details about their plots but all of these books were absolutely fantastic! Such a good reading month guys and I hope May brings some great reads too!


ALL OF THE ABOVE. Seriously. They were all fan-freaking-tastic and deserve to be picked up and devoured. Read them. Love them. Then tell me about your thoughts.


What books did you read this month?

Have you read any of the above on my list?

Feel free to let me know in the comments, I'd love to know!

2 comments:

  1. like your style of listing the books with a short blurb of them and a link to your review. Ive got a couple of those books too, i hope i enjoy them as much, they sound fab
    Gill @book_magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They all really were amazing reads so I hope you enjoy too!

      Thanks for commenting x

      Delete