Friday, 24 April 2015

REVIEW: Better Left Buried by Emma Haughton

22815671I received a copy of this book from Usborne for free, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect the content of my review in any form.

Author: Emma Haughton
Published by: Usborne on May 1st 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery
Pages: 297
Format: Paperback
Source: Publisher
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Hive | Kindle

Summary:

Brother dead.
Best friend missing.
House ransacked.
Stalked by a stranger.
Attacked in the street...

...and Sarah has no idea why.

She never knew her brother was hiding a dark secret when he died. But now his reckless actions have led the wolves to her door. And the only way out is to run.




So I'm going to attempt to keep this review as spoiler free as possible because to be honest, revealing even a fragment of the story might just ruin the element of surprise and that suspense! We don't want that. Does that tempt you enough to pick up a copy yet?


So last year, I picked up Emma's debut Now You See Me (you can find my review of it here) and I really enjoyed that one! Emma's writing is highly engrossing, precise and gritty. She projects that teenage voice in her books perfectly through her words. Her plots and twists are mindblowing and vastly impressive. I didn't think it could get any better but then she proved me wrong!

Better Left Buried was spellbindingly brilliant. The writing was flawless and invigorating, I was glued to the pages and found it difficult to put the book down! The emotions I felt whilst reading was evidence of just how honest and captivating her writing style really is, because she breathed life into her characters. I really felt like I could connect with them all.

Sarah is our protagonist whose older brother recently passed away from heart failure. But when a strange man who goes by the name of Jack begins to stalk her, and her best friend suddenly becomes distant and leaves town, Sarah unearths a few buried dark truths about her brother's life before he died. And they're secrets that endanger the lives of her loved ones, including her own.


Yes, it is as good as it sounds! Maybe better! The pacing of the story was on point, it didn't drag nor did it feel like everything was happening too quickly. I loved Sarah, she was the mix between a kick-ass heroine, that seems to be a growing trend, and just an average person getting on with life. It was refreshing to have that kind of realism and read about a character whose problems don't involve the world getting dominated by a corrupt government, or that she has to lead a war. Sarah and her family are dealing with a huge loss and I could feel that loss myself. It was that good.

I also loved Jack! I thought his mysterious and intense personality really kept me hooked and I'll say this now, you will have doubts possibly every few pages. Emma also really knows how to start off books with a bang! The way the plot unravels is incredible and thrilling and ingenious! There are heart-stopping moments where I felt like I was going to go mad from the suspense! You'll definitely feel like you're tipping over the edge of your seat.


So all in all, I loved this book so much! It had the most brilliant ending, so perfect and beautiful and full of feels! EMOTIONS OVERLOAD. I was left craving for more and I so desperately hope there is a sequel because I just don't feel ready to let go of the characters yet! This is definitely one to look out for guys, it's a brilliant book and really does UKYA proud! One of the best books I've read this year so far, and probably in my life! Emma is just a wonderful lady and I can't wait to read her next masterpiece!

Thank you Usborne for the review copy!

Rating:
Gold Wreath

Stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment