Thursday, 5 February 2015

REVIEW: A Thousand Pieces Of You by Claudia Gray

17234658Author: Claudia Gray
Published by: Harper Teen on 4th November 2014
Genres: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 358
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Series: Firebird #1
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | B&N

Summary:

Marguerite Caine's physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite's father is murdered, the killer - her parent's handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul - escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can't let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul's guilt - and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father's death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.




Oh beautiful cover, I'll never forget thee.


Goes to say that a story can be as beautiful as its jacket. I'd like to make something clear before I share my perilous thoughts on A Thousand Pieces Of You so hear me out when I say that if you are looking for an action-packed driven story then you will face disappointment. Not to say that there isn't any, oh god no, there just isn't enough to label the book as action. What you will find is beautiful writing, lots of them traitorous feels (yeah, you know what I'm talking about), and well thought-out characters. Not to mention dramatic scenes that throw you off balance.

But hey, I'm cool with all that so I loved it. Needless to say that it took a little time to understand the complexities of the parallel worlds thingy-ma-bob, but I got there!

So main character Marguerite, her father has just been killed. The murderer happened to steal the Firebird necklace designed and produced by her parents, which allows its host to travel to alternate dimensions and infuse with their own bodies from that world. Pretty cool right? 

A good chunk of this book was set in Russia. That's a win for me. Kudos to Claudia for including my favourite location. Drama constantly follows the heroine, Marguerite. No chapter is boring. Her feelings clash together after the death of her father in her own dimension and his alleged murderer happening to be the guy she believed to be in love with. That and the third wheel - Theo. I'll get to him in a minute. There is the making of a love triangle, don't be put off by this as it doesn't overtake the plot, but I see more chemistry between Paul and Marguerite.
But even then, I was attached to the Paul from the Russian dimension, because we see a lot more screen time with him and you learn a few things that make you want to cry. And swoon. And EVERYTHING.

That version of Paul was developed incredibly well and hats off to Claudia for succeeding to tear your hear and feelings to shreds with some of the events that happen. (No spoilers for you matey.)

Theo is someone I can sense being one of my favourite characters in the future. For reasons. So all in all, the characters are all wonderful and all emotional wrecks. Love it.

The story flows at a good pace, in fact it was very enjoyable to read. Somewhat slow yet perfect at the same time. We are forced to feel Marguerite's every battling emotion and there are twists thrown in there that were like woah. I can't even describe. Though majority of the book was a 4 star read for me, after that ending I had to give it 5. Fabulous Characters. Fabulous World-Building. Fabulous Storyline. I loved the writing and I hope to see a lot more in the next book.
(By the way, have you guys seen the cover for the sequel Ten Thousand Skies Above You? SO BEAUTIFUL!)

Read this book. Read it now.

Rating:
Gold Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment