Thursday, 19 February 2015

REVIEW: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

23411347Author: Melinda Salisbury
Published by: Scholastic on 5th February 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 320
Format: Hardcover
Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter #1
Source: Bought
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Hive | B&N

Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, Twylla isn't exactly a member of the court.

She's the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla's fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla's been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?






What was this book? What is this book? I am unable to think of nothing but the compelling masterpiece I have just read. I have witnessed a whole new level of YA Fantasy that is not easy to forget, all deftly crafted by a fellow Slytherin. I am proud. Let me talk you through it.

Hope is inevitable, you can't help but cling onto that little ray of sunshine that whispers in your head that all will be well. Mel certainly wouldn't be so cruel to tear your heart into two. You'd think that. I sure as hell did and boy was I a fool to get my hopes up. Nevertheless, the journey I was taken through was one bombshell of an emotional roller-coaster that I didn't want to end. Ever. As soon as the story took off, I was trapped. Perhaps Mel has taken to private tutoring from Professor Snape and learnt to 'bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses'.



I devoured this book in its entirety, gorgeous cover and all. It's seductive, dark and intense with beautiful prose and rather ravishing male characters, Prince Merek and of course, the playful guard, Lief. Let us not forget about Twylla - what a goddess Mel has created! (No pun intended.)
The world building is staggeringly impressive, vivid and fantastical. The myths, the history and laws of this world were true works of a master in world-building. I longed to be a part of the world of Lormere. To be so induced into this world by only Book 1 in this trilogy, says enough.

Our heroine faces endless heart-dropping plot twists, scenes that make you cry out 'please no!' and gasps in stupor at the clever details of the plot. And through all this, Twylla still remains to be one of the most structured and striking characters I have ever read about. Though she is unable to read or write, Twylla still has wisdom. Though she is confined to loneliness, she is still empathetic and feels love and emotions. She is flawless and flawed at the same time. What a wonderful protagonist!

The lies and secrets that are slowly unraveled as the story progresses were so canny, ingenious and cleverly planned out that it throws you off balance and force you to turn back pages in an attempt to make sure you weren't mistaken in what you have just read. (Trust me, you weren't.) It was so fiendish that I raged yet lapped up the sensational drama and thrills I experienced. I am hungry for more. And let's not begin to talk about the swoon-worthy romance that toys with your feelings, where in one moment you are floating above the ground with joyous feels and the next you are sent crashing down to the ground with a broken heart. It was delectable.

I am fired up and pining for the next book, for Mel's flawless writing and gorgeous setting and characters. For her captivating and witty plots after that evil evil epilogue that is left on such a torturous cliff-hanger! This is a book I have anticipated for months, it was one of my most anticipated books of 2015 and believe me when I say that this was worth the wait. Worth the two copies I had bought and would gladly purchase more of. I want everyone to read this book and feel what I had felt. I want everyone to fall in love with this treasure Melinda Salisbury has created.

Overall summary of my feelings about this book?



Rating:
Gold Wreath

Spellbindingly brilliant!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. Great review, Sally, I especially love the gifs you used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you! I enjoyed writing this review so much :D

      Delete
  2. This book is right at the top of my TBR, I can't wait to get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review makes me want to pick this up. Right NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to pick this book up. RIGHT NOW!!

      Delete