Monday, 2 February 2015

REVIEW: Jekyll's Mirror by William Hussey

23198244I received an ARC of this book from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect the content of my review in any form.

Author: William Hussey
Published by: Oxford University Press on 1st January 2015
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Thriller
Format: ARC
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | OUP Website

Summary:

Sam is a tortured soul, but his darkest hour is yet to come, when he's invited to take part in 'Project Hyde'. A new social networking site where the users can enjoy total anonymity - it's exhilarating at first, until Sam notices that the other users are becoming obsessed with the program - addicted to the cruelty they are inflicting online. Sam watches with a growing sense of horror as his classmates turn into something unrecognisable...

For the truth behind Project Hyde is this: it doesn't simply change WHO you are, it changes WHAT you are.

One click away from Evil's new domain. Are you ready to face the truth?





Does that not sound like the most mind-blowing summary? My thoughts exactly.

I write this review fresh after finishing this book, mostly because my brain is still in a haze, and a little fried, with all the dramatic twists and turns the book ended with. Now, I'm a HUGE fan of Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde having read the book countless times and watched many film adaptations. I am well and truly obsessed with the twisted storyline of battling your inner demon, in Dr Jekyll's case - seriously fighting off your evil alter ego.

Jekyll's Mirror focuses on a more modernised version of the story, investing cyberbullying within its pages which was truly impressive. It's vastly common for children and teens to be victims to cyberbullying thanks to the anonymity the internet grants us with. It outlines the severe outcomes of cyberbullying and the dangers it can lead to - but not only to the victim, but the bully him/herself. 

Sam was definitely one of those broken male protagonists dealing with the hardships of his past yet he tries his best to overcome it and fit in. He's also having to deal with a conflicted uncle who is less than happy to be sharing his home. I loved how he had weaknesses and flaws like a real human being, it truly made him shine as he developed. I also enjoyed the involvement of a strong female protagonist, Cass, who has flaws of her own because even a kick-ass female needs a little help sometimes!

The story is fast paced, especially towards the end when things get a little hectic. We even experience a little zombie apocalypse situation which was awesome! I totally loved it. We have dark magic and a rather intriguing villain, in fact, Edgar was most probably my favourite character. He's incredibly witty and intimidating, everything he does is acted upon with complete precision.
That man is a force to be reckoned with.

In regards to the Romance, I wasn't completely won by it and in my honest opinion I think it would have worked better if there wasn't any. Despite that, I think Sam and Cass as individuals were both striking and powerful characters that I liked very much. I also liked Cora - Sam's aunt who always seemed to see the brighter side of Sam and supported him. It was all so heartwarming!

This story is as twisted (how many times have I used this word?) as the original Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but more complex and deals with issues I believe are imperative to include in today's children books. I think Hussey did an excellent job in portraying cyberbullying through Jekyll's Mirror and you should definitely check this book out!

Rating:
Silver Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment