Friday, 24 October 2014

REVIEW: The Oyster Catcher by Jo Thomas

23388346I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any form.

Author: Jo Thomas
Published by: Headline Publishing on 6th November 2014
Genres: Contemporary, Chick-Lit, Romance
Pages: 375
Format: ARC
Source: HeadlinePG, bookbridgr
Links: Goodreads | Wordery | Book Depository

Summary:

Dooleybridge, County Galway.
Population: 482 (or thereabouts).

The last place Fiona Clutterbuck expects to end up, alone, on her wedding night.

But after the words 'I do' have barely left her mouth, that's exactly where she is - with only her sequined shoes and a crashed camper van for company.

One thing is certain: Fi can't go back. So when the opportunity arises to work for a local oyster farmer, Sean Thornton, she jumps at the chance. Now Fi must navigate suspicious locals, jealous rivals and a wild, unpredictable boss if she's to find a new life, and love, on the Irish coast. And nothing - not even a chronic fear of water - is going to hold her back.



This book.

Honestly. I stayed up until 4AM last night to finish this book because once I started it, I couldn't put it down. Recently, I've been reading quite the number of Chick-Lit books and am loving them. But The Oyster Catcher takes the icing on the cake. This book is set in Ireland. IRELAND. I love the Irish and I long to visit the country some day, but this book practically had me feeling like I was right there, with the characters experiencing the glorious Irish coast and community feel of the small town this book is centered around.

We meet our female protagonist, Fi, who has just runaway after being jilted in the worst way possible at her wedding. She had guts to jump into a camper van and drive off with nothing but her wedding clothes and a couple Euros. (I also forget that Ireland use Euros and not GBP which is cool.) She was a brave character who is quick-thinking and courageous. Throughout the book I loved watching her become part of a community in the small town after living for so many years as a city girl. This is exactly what I wish to do too. Despite the age gap between Fi and I, I could relate to her in so many ways. Jo Thomas excelled in character development.

Then there was Sean Thornton - the oyster farmer. He is quite the enigma and I had no idea what to think of him at first. He's vulnerable deep down yet his exterior is cold and hard like a glacier.
 

There was just something about him that made him charming and very likeable. I loved the mysterious back story he slowly revealed to Fi and eventually warming up until I felt like hugging him. Let's not forget how much we readers learn about Oysters. I'm not a fan of seafood in all honesty but I was certainly surprised and excited to learn so much about oyster farming and how it all works. It was insightful and different!

There's just so much drama that keeps you sucked in and not to mention how the book explores the greatness of being in a community. I loved the writing. I laughed. I got emotional and I had fun reading. Though we get small chunks of 3rd person paragraphs from Sean's POV, I wished there was more. The ending, in my opinion made me feel a little iffy. I liked it but I guess I was expecting something else.

This is just a beautiful story which is both fun and intense. The characters were all incredible and realistic and funny, I just wanted to be a part of their community! This is a great book to curl up with with a plate of chocolates (or fruit!). I just... *sigh* I loved it.

Rating:
Silver Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment