Sunday, 14 September 2014

Memory of a Childhood Book


I've read quite a lot of books in my time and lately I've been wondering about a certain book which oddly meant a lot to me. (Still does!)

I was around 12 when I was scrolling through the books in my school library and I picked out Child X. Back then, I never used to glance at the author behind the book or the publishers, not even the book covers. I just used to go by title and the summary on the back. (God how I wish I could still be like that now!) So something drew me to Child X, perhaps the title, and I chose to read it.

So I read it.

Then I read it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

By now, I probably have read it over 20 times. I loved it. Still do! To a point where I had to keep renewing my loan at the library so I could continue reading it every day. (How selfish of me, I know.) The story was just beautiful and as child, I could understand the protagonist's feelings. It's strange as there wasn't a lot the protagonist, Jules, and I had in common. I hadn't even read Northern Lights at that age which held an important place in Jules' heart.

Nevertheless, I somehow felt connected with Jules and wanted nothing more than to materialize in her world and become her friend. I'm not sure what made me feel so connected with Jules but perhaps I knew back when I first read it. All I know is that it still means something to me. What happens to Jules in the story is very real, it could happen to anyone and it most likely has happened to teens around the globe. It was quite the emotional book about a girl trying to fight through the hardships of her life and stay strong even when the going gets tough. Jules was a very important character to me and I know Child X helped me to feel more positive about myself.

On top of it all, the book was by L.A Weatherly who coincidentally is now one of my most favourite authors! She is the creator behind my all-time favourite trilogy, the ANGEL trilogy! You couldn't imagine how astonished I was when I discovered this. There is just something about her writing that instantly draws my attention, maybe I subconsciously knew I had read her work before when I first started reading her ANGEL trilogy, who knows!


So when I met her when she went on tour for her book Angel Fever, I was extremely nervous, more than usual (my sister was witness to that) but she was wonderful and so lovely! I didn't get the chance to mention Child X to her then but I do want to say a huge thank you to you Lee for writing such meaningful books that I have grown to love so much. Especially for Child X which still holds a special place in my heart today!

Do you have a special childhood book too? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi... I am sad because that book is not translated in Serbia. :( I have one question for you. http://www.bookbridgr.com/#gf_1 What is this site? Can you explain me? 'Cause I want to make my blog but I am from Serbia so I will write on Serbian. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry to hear that! Maybe you could try the English edition because your English is very good!

      bookbridgr is a website where bloggers can request for book titles that are listed on their website and they'll send you copies to review. It's for UK and Ireland only I think but I also think they consider international bloggers too. :-) Try contacting them.

      Delete