Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Why Fantasy?

Fantasy.

What do you think of when you see or hear that word?

I used to think of superheroes and unicorns. Or the occasional Power Rangers. Of course that changed to Harry Potter once the movies came out, but either way, I've loved Fantasy since a very young age - in books and in movies. I think it's just wonderful because through Fantasy, writers can really use their imagination to a great extent. With Fantasy, there are no limits to what you can do, there are no rules to follow, no need to worry about a story being too weird because Fantasy can be anything.

The fact you can create an entire universe (or a few universes) with a thought is incredible. It allows you to make some of those dreams you have - whether it is about flying or super strength - become reality within a book. That dream about you having the power to crush concrete with your bare fists? Yeah, you can. As a reader, I live off of fantasies, who doesn't? You don't even have to be a reader or writer to fantasize.


I also love to read other peoples fantasies and this is widely shared via books. Movies are great too, if produced well give or take. But somehow I don't enjoy them as much as Fantasy books. I think it's because with books, I'm able to imagine the world myself from my own perception whilst reading which makes it all the more exciting.

One of my latest reads, The Oathbreakers Shadow by Amy McCulloch, has a mind blowing setting and prose. I met Amy at the Young Adult Literature Convention and was able to talk to her about how she had come up with the idea of the story and setting because really, I was taken by how she managed to create such a magical universe. The names, the rules, the characters, everything was just so different in a good way. I absolutely loved it. It was so new to me and that's what I love about Fantasy, because I get to imagine new worlds and live in them at least for a while before reality kicks back. (Boo.)

Urban Fantasy counts too. Banished by Liz de Jager, an electrifying story led by a strong-willed female protagonist, is one of 2014's sensational debuts, widely popular among YA readers. I've read and loved it. It's action-packed and insanely dramatic. (Seriously. Go read it.) 

Who doesn't love to read about Dragons, Wizards, 100 ft. long Pythons and all that crazy stuff? 

Those small moments of happiness are enough for me to love Fantasy. Not to say that I don't love other genres, because I do, but Fantasy just holds that special place in my heart.

What about you? Which genre do you prefer more? Do you love Fantasy and if yes, then why?

Feel free to let me know in the comments! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Really good text. :)
    I adore Fantasy and my answer on question "why" is the same as yours haha.
    Mainly because it is a way to get away from reality. Genres I love the most are mystery, fantasy and crime.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! x

      I love mysteries and crime thrillers too! They're always very gripping. :-)

      Delete
  2. Although I'll read books in pretty much any genre, I always find myself coming back to fantasy. There is definitely something exciting about experiencing a world that is completely different from our own!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I totally get what you mean, I always circle back to Fantasy because they're always full of excitement! :D

      Delete