Monday, 11 August 2014

REVIEW: Night School by C.J. Daugherty

Author: C.J. Daugherty
Published by: Atom on 1st January 2012
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Romance, Thriller, Contemporary
Pages: 454
Format: Paperback
Series: Night School #1
Source: Bought
Links: Amazon, GoodReads

Summary:

Allie Sheridan's world is falling apart. Her brother's run away from home. Her parents ignore her. And she's just been arrested.

Again.

This time her parents have had enough. They cut her off from her friends and send her away to boarding school, far from her London friends.

But at Cimmeria Academy, Allie is soon caught up in the strange activities of a secret elite group of students.

When she's attacked late one night the incident sets off a chain of increasingly violent events. As the school begins to seem like a very dangerous place, she finds out nothing in Cimmeria is what it seems to be.

And that she is not who she thought she was.



When I first heard about Night School - and I mean the title here, nothing whatsoever about what the series was actually about - I thought it was a series about Vampires living in a secret Academy. Common mistake right? A friend thought so too. So I assumed this was about Allie finding out about this school for vampires and turns into one herself or something. Let us forget this little detail and get on what Night School is actually about.

Somewhere, hidden in England is a place called Cimmeria Academy. Originally this school is known to help difficult teenagers, ensuring to bring them on the right track and help them develop into reliable and hardworking people. Allie Sheridan happens to be one of these 'difficult' teenagers after her brother, Christopher, had run away from home. Her life turned upside down which led her to become the rebellious teenager she is now. After getting arrested, again, Allie's parents send her away to Cimmeria Academy where she soon discovers that the school, isn't what it seems to be.




So where do I begin? At this point, I was convinced this was still a vampire series so I was quite surprised to discover that this series, has nothing to do with vampires. This is a YA Mystery and Thriller series about one messed up school run by secretive teachers. Within this school, there are a special group of students known as the Night School. Hence the title. But no one knows who among the hundreds of students are in Night School and what they actually do. Also, was this book supposed to be scary? There was a lot of times where I found myself on the edge of my seat and practically jumped whenever I heard the slightest sound. I had never been so terrified to read a YA book in my life, second to Say Her Name by James Dawson, but that book was supposed to be scary so...

Despite all the spine-tingling events that made me want to camp out in my parents room at night, I pressed on because there is one thing about this book. It's addicting.

Like real bad.

I couldn't get enough of it. The characters felt so real and well developed, you could probably compare one to someone you actually know. I loved trying to uncover each and every one their secret's and faults, especially Carter and Sylvain. GOD, don't get me started on them. I will come to them in a minute but for the moment let's just talk about how impeccable the writing is. Something about CJ's writing draws you in, keeps you entertained and wanting more. It's like being starved then being given a platter of your favourite foods in front of you to eat - I say this as I was in a little bit of a slump before starting this series and was growing bored of the typical descriptive writing. Perhaps it was due to the book being written in 3rd person rather than first, and for me this works a little better as you're not completely glued to every personal thought the main character has. There was just the right amount of description and dialogue and more importantly, it felt casual.

Some books I've read previously require me to slow down whilst reading because it's like reading something out of a history book or worse, science.  
 


I breezed through Night School. No stopping and re-reading for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book like that where I don't have the need to finish the book just to have it read. All that went through my mind was trying to find out what the hell was happening in the book because it was just CRAZY. The need to know the truth was excruciating- no, sorry that word is reserved for something else, but it did drive me nuts. Good luck.

The romance. Sigh.

Carter West. Let's start with you. Now here is the typical bad boy of the school. Freaking attractive as hell and unattainable because he never sticks to one girl for long. But his actions and consideration for Allie's well being, is breath-taking. I must find a Carter West.

Sylvain Cassel. For once, we have a potential love interest from a different background. He is French! My god, that swept me off my feet and I actually could imagine him speaking his ever so charming sentences with that beautiful accent...

I loved the fact they both of them were so different yet somewhat the same. At first I favored Sylvain over Carter, mostly because for once I wanted the 'nice guy' getting the girl. Obviously, that didn't last. Before anyone asks, I am not Team Carter nor Team Sylvain and if you read this book, you'll understand why. There was an equal amount of Mystery and Romance in this book which was perfect.

Everything was practically perfect. I can't fault this book at all. I'm a huge fan of Fantasy and for me to enjoy a book that has nothing to do with the genre is astonishing. That is also an indirect way of me saying GO AND READ THIS SERIES. I swear you won't regret it.


Rating:
Gold Wreath
 Obviously.


5 comments:

  1. God.. :O I can't believe you write this much.. :O But everything I couldn't explain about Night School.. you explain everything. Totally the same opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I hope it wasn't too long! I had to cut a lot out as well xD

      I'm so happy to hear that you share the same opinions! Thanks for commenting :-) x

      Delete
  2. No.. for this perfect book it isn't. Really. :'D
    You welcome :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was reading all your tweets about your marathon read so am SUPER DUPER pleased with how much you enjoyed it! I absolutely adore this so I am ridiculously excited and happy.

    I also thought this was a vampire novel at first, but I'm glad it's not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lucy! It really means a lot!

      I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who thought it was about vampires! I'm glad it wasn't too. :-)

      Thanks for your lovely comment<3

      Delete