Tuesday, 26 August 2014

REVIEW: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

8987161Author: Kody Keplinger
Published by: Hodder Children's Books on 5th April 2012
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Chick-Lit
Pages: 343
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Links:  GoodReads | Amazon | Waterstones

Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper knows she's not the hottest girl at school, but when school jock and resident moron Wesley casually refers to her as a Duff - Designated Ugly Fat Friend - the gloves are off!

If there's a thin line between love and hate then Bianca has crossed it. She just never thought she was capable of breaking anyone's heart.



The DUFF was one of those books that had quite a lot of buzz, especially since there is an official movie adaptation in the making. After finishing the book, I'm not too sure I'd be keen on seeing the film but who knows?


So let us begin. This is your typical YA contemporary about a high school girl struggling to deal with the issues in her life. Bianca Piper is called a Duff - a Designated Ugly Fat Friend - by her arch nemesis, Wesley Rush. This word sticks to her mind like glue throughout the book as Wesley describes the Duff as the friend in a group who is used as a means to attract their more attractive friends. This of course, leads Bianca to doubt her status in her little trio of friends.



The premise of the story sparked my interest and what with the positive feedback I had been hearing from other bloggers and readers in general, I did go into this book with high expectations. Needless to say, I enjoyed the book to an extent. Within the first 40 or so pages, I went from loving it to feeling a little disappointed. This is mainly due to the main character- Bianca. I liked her, she had a few good traits but her actions in some situations put me off her. I just didn't think the reason's for her actions in most parts were justified.



On a brighter note, I did like Wesley - again to an extent. There just wasn't enough on him and his development. Here's a boy who is running away from his own issues but did well to cover them up. There was something that made him more solid and realistic compared to Bianca which was a plus.



The DUFF deals with a sensitive topic as I'm sure most girls during teenage years have had feelings of being insecure about the way they look and comparing themselves to the more 'popular' girls at school. The DUFF did well to encourage the idea that everyone has some kind of imperfection and that one is not better than the other. You shouldn't feel intimidated by your own friends, be happy with who you are because everyone is unique. What's great about this book is that the message is relayed to both females and males! Because let's face it, even guys get a little competitive!



This was an enjoyable read but I just didn't fully connect with the main protagonist Bianca, though I was pleased with how the book had ended. It just makes you feel all warm inside! This is a good summer read and though I didn't exactly love the book, I would recommend people read it and judge it for themselves.



Rating:
Bronze Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment