Wednesday, 20 August 2014

REVIEW: The 100 Society by Carla Spradbery

18461109Author: Carla Spradbery
Published by: Hodder Children's Books on 4th September 2014
Genres: Young Adult, Horror, Thriller, Mystery, Romance
Pages: 317
Format: ARC
Source: Books With Bite
Links: GoodReads | Waterstones | Amazon

Summary:

For sixth-form student Grace Becker, The 100 Society is more than just a game; it's an obsession. Having convinced her five friends at Clifton Academy to see it through to the end, Grace will stop at nothing to carry out the rules of the game: tagging 100 locations around the city. With each step closer to the 100-mark they get, the higher the stakes become.

But when the group catches the attention of a menacing stalker - the Reaper - he seems intent on exposing their illegal game, tormenting Grace with anonymous threats and branding their dormitory with his ominous tag.

As the once tight-knit group slowly unravels, torn apart by doubt and the death of a student, they no longer know to to trust.



Oh. My. God.

This book, was incredible. And I mean the exhilarating-loop-the-loop-roller-coaster kind of incredible. I didn't really have any high expectations but I've heard a lot about this title and horror/thrillers are slowly becoming a favourite genre of mine. I write this review just moments after finishing this novel.

I had actually picked up Solitaire by Alice Oseman to read, but somehow my attention was turned to the ARC lying on my bookcase and I had the sudden urge to read it. Call it instincts, maybe I knew I would enjoy it, maybe not. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, in fact the majority of the time throughout the book, I felt like something was missing that stopped me from loving it.

But that plot-twist ending! 
Mind. Blown.


This was one messed up story. Set in a British Academy, we meet our protagonist Grace Becker who starts the story off with a bang. She's in the middle of tagging a location, literally on the brink of death. If there's any way to start off a story, that's one way to grab the readers attention all right. Grace seems to feel challenged by her older brother Jack, who is the star in her family. It leads her to join The 100 Society - which apparently makes you a god if you manage to complete all 100 tags. Jack had been a former player in the game but failed to continue which drives Grace to push forwards even when the stakes were getting dangerous.

I had to admit, I did admire her courage. This is incredibly fast-paced with a mind-blowing plot twist. It's gruesome, breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat kind of scary. I found myself turning away from the book a few times out of shock. It's very unpredictable in most parts and the reader will most definitely grow doubts from the first few pages.

To add, the mystery side to the story was brilliant. I'll be honest and say it was a 4 star book for me until the last quarter of the book, which bumped it up to 5. It was that good. The way it all unraveled was incredibly clever, you won't expect a thing. I sure as hell didn't. I also loved the fact that somehow, romance still managed to fit into all this chaos and even that was heart-wrenching. I feared for the worst seeing as horror and romance mixed together usually have some of the worst endings. I was actually very satisfied with the ending, loved it even.

The characters were all very amusing, especially Trick. I loved his idea of tattooing everything meaningful to him, on his body to keep him reminded about the events of his past.

"They're there so I don't forget where I came from."

That was probably my favourite line from the entire book.

If you're looking for a fairytale ending, this you won't find one here. You will be left distraught in some form. And if you can't stomach a little gore, then I still urge you to read it. Why? Because it's awesome. Fans of Emma Haughton's Now You See Me, James Dawson's Say Her Name and E. Lockhart's We Were Liars will greatly enjoy this book. 

A spine-tingling and gripping tale. A MUST READ!

Rating:
Gold Wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment