Tuesday, 15 July 2014

REVIEW: SHIFT by Kim Curran

Image from GoodReads
Author: Kim Curran
Published by: Strange Chemistry on 4th September 2012
Genres: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Paranormal, Thriller
Pages: 312
Series: Shift #1
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Links: Amazon, GoodReads

Summary:

When your average loser, Scott Tyler, meets the beautiful and mysterious Aubrey Jones, he learns he's not so average after all. Turns out he's a "Shifter" - he has the power to undo any decision he's ever made.

At first, he thinks the power to Shift is pretty cool. But as his world quickly starts to unravel around him he realises that each time he uses his power, it has terrible unforeseen consequences. In a world where anything can change with a single thought, Scott has to decide exactly where he stands.   





My first thoughts on SHIFT was that it was some kind of Sci-Fi, futuristic book about time-travel, which also meant I was expecting a heck of a lot of action for the entirety of the book and possible nonsensical explanations of the paranormal abilities the main protagonist would have. I was glad to have been wrong, for once.

Scott Tyler is your average teenager, only he is deemed as a loser. His parents are continuously arguing, only sticking together for the sake of the family. It’s hard enough for Scott that his younger sister excels in activities he should be doing, but when he meets a young girl by the name of Aubrey Jones, it changes entire life for he discovers that he is a Shifter – someone who can change and undo any decision they ever made. But being a Shifter comes with its consequences.

The premise of this story is completely different to anything I have ever read so it was like a breath of fresh air to try something new. SHIFT is told from a male point of view so we’re in Scott’s mind all the time. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this book from Scott’s eyes because Scott himself was a very amusing character. I never expected humour from SHIFT but I was thankful for the surprise because it made reading it all the more enjoyable. Now I don’t know much about how 16 year old teenage boys are supposed to act but I think Kim Curran really nailed it with Scott. I really really loved Scott's character and personality. He was that lively upbeat teenager and felt so real, I'm sure males in real life could relate. (I know my brothers can.)

The story itself was fast paced and very thrilling but at times I did get a little confused with all the explanations and it took a little time to understand a few things but I knew enough to get through and enjoy the rest of the book.

The female protagonist, Aubrey, was quite interesting. At 15 she is quite mature for her age yet she still has childish tendencies which I really liked, it made her seem more realistic. Also she wasn't your typical damsel in distress, in fact she gave Scott quite a run in order to gain her affections. She was pretty kick-ass for her age! Aubrey works for ARES - The Agency for the Regulation and Evaluation of Shifters - who are a company that keep track of all Shifter's, making sure they obey the rules and don't abuse their powers. But ARES hold secrets of their own and Scott ends up in the center of it all. 

I flew through this book in one sitting and don't regret a second. With the book set in London, I loved to picture myself within the story, following Scott and Aubrey along on their journey. The relationship between Scott and Aubrey is heart warming and it was a fun read! The storyline and book covers really remind me of the TV show The Tomorrow People, but it is completely different and I loved it. I now look forward to reading CONTROL and would recommend more people read this series!

Fast-paced, funny and fantastic! If you need a break from those deep and gloomy books or wish to read something with enjoyable characters and mind blowing action, this is book for you

Rating:
Silver Wreath


Review also on: GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment