Tuesday, 20 May 2014

REVIEW: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Author: E. Lockhart
Published by: Hot Key Books on 15th May 2014
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Romance
Pages: 240
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Links: Amazon, GoodReads
Rating:


Gold Wreath
Mind-blowing read!






Image from GoodReads
Summary:

We are the liars.

We are beautiful, privileged, and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?









Let me just say that as I write this, I am still recovering from the aftermath of this book and I read this a couple days ago. That’s saying something. I realise this review will be much shorter than usual, only because revealing one tiny detail from this book is practically a huge spoiler. If you want to experience the full intensity of this book, I suggest you go ahead reading it blind and with no knowledge of what it is about. That’s how I read it anyway. (And look at me. I’m a disaster so maybe it’s not such a good idea.)

There is no real description I can give of the story which doesn't scream spoiler, so you’re only left with brief little details and my thoughts on the book. Sorry. (It’s for your own good.)

We Were Liars was one of my most anticipated novels of 2014 so I was pretty jumpy when I got my copy. (Even worse when I began reading it.) So we meet our protagonist, Cadence, and her cousins Johnny, Mirren and Gat who call themselves ‘The Liars’ which pretty much gets the engine of your curiosity going. They usually gather on their private island during the holidays and spend most of their time in each other’s presence. So their relationship is pretty strong and intact. Gat is actually a last edition to their little group and he interested me the most, mainly due to him being from an Indian-American background rather than the typical White-American the rest of the Sinclair’s seem to be. That was one of the best things about this book because I love books that have characters from diverse backgrounds. So I really loved Gat’s character, mostly because of his way of thinking and awareness of the things happening around the world. It really gets you thinking too. 

In the first few pages we learn that Cadence had an accident and she begins to narrate her story which lead up to it. It's quite intriguing and a very good start. 

The Sinclair’s are pretty political, and as an ex-politics student, I was impressed. You’d think everything seems pretty normal as you read on, a rather smart tactic I’d say, tricking us like that. E. Lockhart really planned this through, it’s devious! But it’s also brilliant. The twists are the real enemies in this book, because those twists will mess with your head like you wouldn't believe. You may want to steer clear of any dangerous objects when you read this.

I carried on reading, and by now I thought I've figured out the twist (heh, big mistake), and indulged myself within Lockharts’ writing. The writing style is quite different, it may even frustrate you in some ways but I think it added to the whole suspenseful atmosphere. By the end of the book, my mind was left in smithereens. Quite literally. I did not see it coming. I sat on my bed, staring into space wondering what the hell just happened. So I frantically searched back to the last few pages and re-read the entire passage, trying to find a something, anything, which would tell me I just misinterpreted things. But no.

Now I understand the hype behind this book. I’m not sure whether I’m satisfied or not because I had no idea how to function after finishing it. This book was incredibly gripping, with twists that will turn your world upside down and an ending that will literally kill you, or if you’re lucky, you may just end up comatose. You will ask yourself how did you miss it and then spend days trying to figure it out. There is no amount of words that could describe how enthralling this book was. All I can say is READ IT.

Prepare to be amazed. And stupefied. 


No comments:

Post a Comment